A couple of weeks ago, I was up visiting my family at my brother’s place. He’s had a ’69 Camaro for over 15 years that he’s been meticulously restoring.
This is what it looked like shortly after he originally got it.
This is what it looks like these days.
As you can see; it is a gorgeous piece of hardware.
We decided to test out my dpa 4061s with a quick and dirty recording session. We mounted the mics up above each exhaust pipe under the car using some magnet mounts and painter’s tape that he had lying around. I gave it a quick quick level test and we drove around his neighborhood a bit with me sitting in the backseat and watching the volume meters.
I was pretty surprised I didn’t get more road noise than I did (there is some later in the recording)…but damn that engine pumps out the signal. After monitoring; I noticed that we mounted the mics a *little* too close to the exhaust, as we get plosive pop and a touch overload when The Beast starts in on its really low lope cycle (most noticeable on the first 45 seconds of the recording), but nothing we can’t address on the next session.
We didn’t have a *ton* of opportunity to really put the pedal to the metal (we were in a residential neighborhood, after all), but he was able to sneak in a few moments to let it roar a bit.
We’re already planning on having a more robust session sometime in the near future (we were on a limited time frame this go around) and I’ll plan on getting a lot more high RPM stuff, some drive-by whooshes and a host of other goodies. Until then, take a listen:
Nerd Info: Used the dpa 4061s that went into a Sound Devices Mix Pre and Sony PCM M10.